To support students in taking advantage of the opportunites at academic conferences, QMSS and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences both provide funding support for travel to conferences and conference registration.
Please also visit our Papers and Presentations page to see how previous students have used this resource.
QMSS will provide funds of up to $250 for conferences in the United States and up to $500 for international conferences. Students can be reimbursed for conference registration, travel to the conference, an/or hotel fees. To apply for conference funding, please contact the program coordinator and provide the following:
Evidence of Travel
- A photocopy of the program.
- Receipt for registration at the conference that includes the cost of registration.
- Receipts from travel, such as the proof of purchase receipt from an e-ticket. Boarding passes alone are NOT sufficient proof. Receipts for travel must indicate the dates of travel, and the dates must correspond closely to the day(s) of your attendance at the conference.
- Domestic students: W-9 form from the IRS, available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf, if have not already filed one with Columbia.
- International students: W-8 form, available at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw8ben.pdf if have not already filed one with Columbia.
- Columbia Business/Travel Expense form
QMSS students can receive additional funding from GSAS. Students presenting at conferences that involve international plane travel should expect to receive no more than $500; students presenting at conferences in the United States should expect to receive no more than $250. GSAS will reimburse students for conference registration and/or travel costs. GSAS will not reimburse students for hotel costs. Please note that you cannot be reimbursed in advance of your travel. If you have questions, please contact Valerie Watkins-Causwell email@example.com or 212-854-4933. For reimbursement, bring the following supporting documentation to 109A Low Library as soon as possible but no later than 60 days after your travel is concluded: